SCImago is a key partner for institutions, local and national governments and international organizations
SCImago is both a Spanish consulting company (Scimago Lab) and a network of research groups working in several Spanish and Latin American academic institutions that perform specialized research in scientometrics, scientific publishing and web visibility. The company was born as a spin-off of research groups located at the University of Granada and the Spanish National Reseach Council (CSIC) and it is now a world leader in the generation of indicators and methodologies for evaluating research activity, the creation of popular metrics portals and innovative tools that include concepts (SJR indicator inspired by Google’s Pagerank, Jounal quartiles, excellence with leadership) that have been adopted by both Elsevier Scopus and Clarivate WoS.
SCImago is a key partner for institutions, local and national governments and international organizations as it provides innovative solutions to improve scientific visibility and manage knowledge through a set of actions that include setting up institutional political frameworks, strengthening of human capacities, development of infrastructure necessary to carry out research and strategies aimed at giving visibility to the research outputs pre and post publication.
SCImago is a very active developer of open data tools with a high added value like:
- SJR – SCImago Journal & Country Rank. A comprehensive database describing more than 33 000 scientific journals with dozens of metrics, related titles and the famous SJR indicator.
- SIR – SCImago Institutions Rank. Provides information from about 7500 research-related entities like universities, research centers, hospitals, PRO, private companies foundations and government bodies. The customised composite indicator combines three different sets of indicators based on research performance, innovation outputs and societal impact measured by their web visibility.
- SPR – SCImago Patents Rank. Based on PATSTAT data enriched with proprietary bibliometric data, offers the most reliable patent statistics.
- Shape of Science. It is an interactive visualization tool specially designed for understanding the relations of the journals according to their disciplinary and country affiliation and their metrics performance.
- SCImago Graphica is a free software that is very flexible and sophisticated for the exploration, analysis, and visualization of all data types. It is being available for several platforms and as it is not restricted to research-related sources it is useful for general public.
SCImago provides services of specialized consultancy including scientometric reports, academic SEO, development of information systems and web portals, and organization of workshops and seminars. Clients includes country governments, public and private universities and international organizations.
The research groups affiliated with SCimago includes researchers included the top 2% most cited scientists (Ranking of Stanford based on Scopus data). Their research output is published in prestigious journals testing and supporting the tools used in the SCimago tools and services, supplying analysis and results from the data collected and performing overall quality control.